Today’s guide is about a Acer Iconia W3-810 that would not boot, basically this tablet got stuck at 10% trying to update itself to Windows 10. After a few hours at 10%, we were pretty sure that it wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon… so we did a clean install of Windows 10.
Before you get started, you will need the following tools and software:
- Usb Keyboard
- Usb Mouse (as the touchscreen will not function during installation)
- Usb Hub – We recommend The (Transcend RDP7 Card Reader (TS-RDP7K))
- USB OTG Cable.
- USB Pen Drive (At Least 4GB)
- Windows 10 (This case the version selected is Windows 10 x86)
- Rufus Tool
To get windows 10, you can go to this Microsoft link and download the MediaCreationTool
To get Rufus Tool, you can go to this Rufus Website and download the tool.
Start by following these steps:
1. Using the Rufus tool, start by creating a bootable USB drive, compatible with the UEFI GPT partition table. Also select the file system as 32bits.
2. Turn on the tablet and press <F2> when the Acer logo appears.
3. Use the mouse to navigate to the boot menu tab and adjust the boot sequence by moving the USB disk to the first entry.
4. Save the changes and the tablet will boot from the USB stick.
5. Wait a few minutes to complete the USB boot.
(if you still cant boot with your usb drive, then go back to the Bios and disable the security settings, you will need to create a security password in order to be able to disable this option)
6. Install Windows and follow the normal steps of installation. (We deleted all partitions, mainly because after previously upgrading from windows 8 to Windows 8.1, the recovery partitions normally don’t work)
7. Install Drivers found at the Acer website.
8. Connect to the internet and Activate Windows. (Since your Windows 8.1 product code is stored in the Bios chip, Windows will activate automatically).
Thanks for reading.